Saturday, June 19, 2004

population control - the debate at Deeshaa

I have been visiting Atanu Dey's Deeshaa blog over the last couple of days trying to follow his idea discussed in the The Market for Reproductive Rights article . It certainly has stirred up a hornet's nest on the site, with a lot of folks putting forth arguments against it. Atanu has responded by putting forth a challenge - that he will convince the reader by force of his arguments, the validity of his arguments. I am not going to take up that challenge, but I hope someone does, and I certainly intend to keep a close eye on how it progresses.

In the meantime, I have been trying to explore more of the ideas about India's development that Atanu puts forth at Deeshaa. This one certainly caught my fancy - especially the part about the relative roles of agriculture, manufacturing and services in a developing economy like India, versus those in a developed economy like the United States. The example certainly seems believable - but how does such a transformation occur? To be precise, how can such a transformation be brought about in India?

No comments: