Was just watching "100 greatest artists of hard rock" on VH1 in the evening today. It was a cool show ... the top 40 or so was an awesome list - listened to a lot of these bands in college back home in India - had almost forgotten about some of them ... it was cool remembering the songs, the artists, and a lot of college memories associated with those songs.
Most of the bands were what would be considered as "classic rock" lots of acts that survived through the 70s and the 80s ... ofcourse I dont necessarily agree with VH1's rankings, but that's fine. here are some notable mentions:
96. Meatloaf (urghhh!)
90. Rainbow (ex-Deep Purple Richie Blackmore's band) - my favorite is "Temple of the King"
85. Whitesnake (another ex-Deep Purple guy David Coverdale) - always brings back "Fool for your loving" to mind ..
76. Bon Jovi (76 is too far down for these guys)
71. Lynrd Skynrd - Sweet Home Alabama
67. The Rolling Stones - couldn't care less, never liked them much
61. Jethro Tull - ROCKS!
HEAVY HEAVY METAL 50s : Anthrax, Slayer, Pantera, ...
32. The Doors - another perennial favorite
The best of British heavy metal: Iron Maiden (24), Judas Priest (23) and Deep Purple (22) - these guys were awesome
21. Pearl Jam
18. Ozzy Osbourne (thanks to Sujit for introducing me to the Ozzman!)
15. PINK FLOYD - these guys would be somewhere close to #1 in my rankings.
13. Queen: another top 10 pick for me
4. AC/DC - never really fancied them much
3. Jimi Hendrix
2. Black Sabbath
1. Led Zeppelin - top 10 in my books, but certainly not #1. A couple of months ago, I happened to hear "Stairway to heaven" played by a brass band - no vocals - only trombones, tuba, trumpet, saxophone and the flute - an amazing rendition by the Rocket City Brass Band.
As I look through my favorites list, almost all the acts are 70s and 80s classics .... what to do ... i am like this only!